Rasayana Chikitsa/Rejuvenative Treatments
The word Rasayana is a combination of two separate words Rasa and ayana. The word Rasa in this context means the first liquid tissue which nourishes all the tissues in the body and Ayana is its circulation. This means that if rasa dhatu is produced in optimum quality and quantity, then naturally all the tissues in the body will be nourished properly.
The method by which Rasa is carried to all the body tissues for biochemical metamorphosis is called as Rasakriya. Rasayana also means the purification of all tissues from Rasa to Shukra. It also aims at giving strength to senses, mind and intellect. Hence Rasayana or rejuvenation is such a form of treatment in which all the tissues are nourished and enhanced. The nourishment of vital tissues helps in stopping old age.
Thus it is useful for enhancement of qualities of life, span of life, increased intellect and enhanced physical strength. It also enhances the immunity of an individual leading to health.
1)Abhyangam : Abhyangam is a form of Ayurvedic holistic healing massage therapy that involves massage of the body with large amounts of warm oil (pre-medicated with herbs for specific conditions). It can be beneficial for maintaining health and is used therapeutically for certain disorders like anxiety, fatigue, paralysis, spondylosis, arthritic problems, injuries & backaches.
2) Shiro Abhyangam: Ayurvedic Shiro Abhyangam Massage is especially useful in treating stress, anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, diarrhea, headaches, colitis, high blood pressure, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, insomnia, pain relief, ulcers, sinusitis. Head is the operating circle of body which controls the overall body functions & dynamics. It focuses on shoulder, neck, face & head which are vulnerable to stress.
3) Shirodhara: Continues stream of luke warm medicated oil is poured on the forehead while receiving a gentle massage on the head. Shirodhara treats insomnia & promotes sound sleep. It increases the production of serotonin &endorphins, which improves the quality of sleep.
4) Nasyam: Nayam is a Ayurvedic method of treatment for headache, sinusitis, migraine, ear, nose and throat. Nasyam is a toxin removing process and it’s very helpful to get relax for head related problems. Nasyam gives immune power in the head region.
5) Janu Basthi: Janu Basthi is an Ayurvedic procedure in which ring made of black gram flour is placed around the knee, the ring is sealed and medicated oil poured in this ring. The7 oil is kept warm for 30 min by replacing it with warm Oil. It is helpful in treating painful conditions of knee, which is caused by increased vata doshsa like osteoarthritis.
6) Akshi sekam:
a continuous stream of medicated decoctions is applied on the eyes for a soothing, rejuvenating experience. It is highly curative and can assuage the pain of overstressed eyes.
7) Kadi vasthi:
Medicated warm l oil is poured over the lower back and retained inside a well sculpted from black gram paste for the required duration. The healing properties of herbal oils used for this therapy deeply cleanse and enrich the blood, build and maintain strong muscle and connective tissues, and lubricate the joints keeping them flexible and pain free. Its helps to improving inter-vertebral disc prolepses, reduce backache, and helping to get cure sciatica.
Pichu is a palliative treatment for ailments of the head and spine. During this treatment, a long, thick layer of cotton wool soaked with warm medicated oil is applied over the affected area. The oil is replaced periodically to keep it warm and therapeutic. Pichu, one of the Purvakarma therapies, is considered an effective treatment for diseases of the cranial nerves arising from Vata disorder. This therapy is very effective for degenerative and painful spinal problems.
9) Kadidhara: This therapy begins with the application of suitable medicated oil to the entire body. A special fermented warm medicinal preparation made out of various kinds of grains, lemon, horse gram, etc. is poured continuously on to the whole body. This therapy is very effective for ‘Kapha Vata’ predominant conditions.
10) Choorna swedam: Choorna swedam is an ayurvedic treatment for neurological disorders, rheumatism and arthritis. In this treatment, the whole body is vigorously massaged with herbal powder (choornam) tied into tiny bundles in muslin cloth until the warmth induces the skin to sweat. The sweat washes away toxic body wastes and unnecessary body fluids. This therapy helps curing the “Kapha Vata” predominant conditions of back and muscular pain.
11) Shirolepam: Sirolepam is a special treatment in traditional ayurveda for hair care. In this exclusive, relaxing and effective therapy, prescribed oil is first massaged into the head. When the mind and scalp are relaxed, an herbal paste is applied to the hair and scalp. This specially formulated mixture strengthens hair follicles and improves hair growth.
12)Shiro Vasthi: In this relaxing therapy, luke warm medicinal herbal oil is poured into a cap fitted on the head for 15 to 60 minutes per day. A leather sleeve of about six to eight inches in length is placed on the head of the patient and a band (vartti) is tied around the forehead to keep it in place. Kneaded dough is used to line the inside of this sleeve and ensure that it does not leak. Oil is then poured into the sleeve and allowed to remain on the head. The length of time the oil should be kept there is determined by the physicians according to the need. This is a great therapy for treating paralysis, insomnia, and depression.
13) Pathrapotala Swedam: This nourishing technique alleviates strained body parts and targets sore muscles and joints. A heated cloth bolus containing chopped herbal Ayurvedic leaves is dipped in medicated oils and softly pressed onto the affected areas. This therapy is effective for back pains, soreness and other soft tissue inflammations especially joint pains.
14) Netra Tarpanam: During Tharpanam, hollow wells of black gram paste and gently sculpted around the eyes. Therapeutic, medicated oil is poured in these wells. This therapy has a relaxing and cooling effect on irritated and stressed eyes. It relieves eyestrain, improves eyesight and other eye-related problems. It also prevents eye diseases and strengths the optic tissue
15)Ksheerdhara: Same relaxing treatment as Sirodhara but instead of herbal oil, herbal milk is poured over the forehead or over the whole body. This moisturizing agent relieves anxiety and tension, and leaves your skin with a healthy glow. This is a great therapy for people suffering from headaches from Vata and Pitta predominance, insomnia and mental tension.
16) Dhanyamaladhara: Warm medicated rice water and herbal liquids are poured over the whole body to stimulate the nervous system. First the client is massaged with medicated oils. Then, warm Dhanyamala is poured over the body, keeping the patient in different positions. This treatment is not only curative, it is also very enjoyable, relaxing and warming. Its helps to treat hemiplegia, Alleviating paralysis, rheumatic diseases.
17) Takradhara: In this therapy, buttermilk, which has tremendous cooling properties, is used as the main ingredient for the treatment. Thakradhara, a stream of medicine-rich buttermilk is gently poured on a person’s forehead. The medicated buttermilk is a luxurious treatment, which calms the individual down. The treatment induces coolness to the brain, relaxes the mind, reduces mental stress and increases memory power.
18) Udwarthanam: This is a typical deep massage using herbal powders. It is performed both dry and wet. This massage stimulates hair follicles and subcutaneous fat tissue to break down subcutaneous fat storage. The dry powder massage reduces blood cholesterol, obesity, and skin problems. In addition, it imparts mobility to the joints, strengthens muscles and refreshes the body. The most promising effect is the slimming of the body. It is most effective when taken as a package, where significant weight loss and cellulite reduction.
19) Pizhichil: The whole body is bathed in streams of lukewarm medicated oil with simultaneous soft massage. Three therapists attend to the client, focusing on their particular needs. More than three liters of relaxing, medicated oil is used in this therapy. Pizhichil protects the body from illnesses and builds up immunity for a healthy life. It is very useful for rheumatic diseases, arthritis, paralysis, sexual weakness, neurological disorders, blood pressure, nervous weakness and helps to arrest the aging process.
20) Njavarakizh: A generous amount of medicated oil is applied to the whole body and then the body is massaged with small cotton cloth boluses filled with cooked Njavara rice. The boluses are dipped in this regenerating mixture of cow’s milk and a brewed herbal decoction, and then applied all over the body to induce sudation (sweat). This procedure is highly rejuvenating, nourishing and prepares the individual to bear the stresses and strains of a busy lifestyle. It enhances physical consistency, strengthens the nervous system and improves the overall appearance of the skin.
21) Grivavasthy: Specially prepared warm herbal oil is poured over the neck and retained inside the black gram paste boundary for the required duration. These herbal oils seep into the skin and blood and purify them. It also fortifies the body and muscles, lubricating the joist and keeping them pain free. Its Beneficial to treat Cervical Spondylosis
22) Pristhavasthy: During Pristhavasthy, the paste of black gram is sculpted into a long pond on the c back. Warm medicated oil is then poured into the black gram paste and left for a suitable time. The oil is reheated so that it has maximum therapeutic properties. Pristhavasthy is an effective treatment for paralysis caused by spinal injury or any kind of infection inside the spinal cord.
23) Karna Purana: Medicated mineral oils are gently poured into the ears, lubricating the delicate, sensitive filaments of the ear canal and dislodging impurities. It also hones hearing. Karna Puran induces deep restfulness and may be useful in treating problems such as tension, headaches and insomnia