Panchakarma Virechana / Detoxification
What is Panchakarma Virechanam / Detoxification
Panchakarma Virechanam / Detoxification is a bio-cleansing, purification therapy to detox the body and mind. It is a rather medicated purgation therapy. It’s one of the five Panchakarma procedures that helps in the healing of the body and Prevents physical, and mental disorders as well as general illness. It is a herbal purging process aiming at the elimination of excessive Pitta Dosha and Ama and which in turn purifies blood, as well as clearing toxins from the body.
The procedure of Panchakarma Virechanam
In this procedure, the vitiated doshas are eliminated through the rectal route. The procedure consists of various stages. In the first place, It starts with medications to correct the metabolism.
The next step is internal oleation or Snehapanam with the help of medicated ghrtam based on Doshas.
Further to internal oleation external oleation of the body is done with Abhyangam.
In the final stage medicines for purgation are given to the patient. After purgation, the patient needs to follow a light and simple diet. Throughout the procedure, special customized diet chart is also given to the patient.
Types of Panchakarma Virechanam / Detoxification
Panchakarma – Virechana is categorised based on Doshas.
Panchakarma Virechana is mainly classified in Snigdha Virechana and Rooksha Virechana.
- Snigdha Virechana: In this procedure castor oil or Haritaki fruit churn used for Purgation. It’s Useful when Pitta Dosha is associated with Vata Dosha.
- Rooksha Virechana: Usually 20 to 30grams of Trivirt leham used for Purgation purposes. It’s useful when Pitta Dosha is associated with Kapha Dosha
Advantages of Virechanam therapy:
- The patient feels very relaxed, clean, light, and strong after the Virechana therapy successfully.
- It normalizes the digestion, assimilation, and appetite of the body.
- Virechana therapy helps to bring clarity to the mind and stimulates the intellectual level.
- It is effective in the treatment of Pitta disorders, such as skin inflammations.
- Beneficial in treatments of diseases like chronic fever, piles, abdominal tumours, worms, and gout.
- Panchakarma Virechana is also effective in the treatment of jaundice, irritable bowel syndrome, gastrointestinal problems, and constipation.
- Panchakarma Virechana also helps in the treatment of Diabetes, Hypertension, PCOD, GERD and gynaecological disorders. In addition to that its equally important in the treatment of hormonal disorder
Virechana therapy is a natural and effective therapy for several health problems.