PCOD / PCOS
PCOS, or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, has become increasingly common among women of reproductive age in recent years. Women who have this condition may have irregular or altered menstrual cycles. The ovaries may also grow a lot of fluid-filled sacks that are incapable of releasing eggs. An endocrine disorder called PCOS/PCOD is a major contributor to infertility. Subfertility is a term used to describe a condition where a person is trying to get pregnant but is having a difficult time. Let’s know about the Best Best Ayurveda treatment for PCOD and PCOS
SYMPTOMS OF PCOS/PCOD
These are some of the typical PCOS/PCOD symptoms.
- Period irregularities: Women may experience irregular menstrual cycles.
- Missed Periods: Missed periods may occasionally last a long time. This may continue for several months.
- Severe bleeding: This is caused by a thicker than usual uterine lining. Females can have prolonged periods of heavy bleeding.
- Hair growth: The back, belly, chest, and face may all experience excessive hair growth. This ailment, also known as hirsutism, can be an annoying PCOS symptom.
- Acne: Areas like the face, chest, and back are more likely to experience breakouts.
- Obesity: Studies have shown that managing one’s weight can significantly lessen the symptoms of PCOS in up to 80% of females who have the condition.
- Hair thinning and loss: Women with PCOS/PCOD may experience hair thinning and loss. The body’s overabundance of androgens is the cause of this.
- Skin darkening: The nose, groin, under the breasts, and other places may develop dark skin pigmentation or patchy skin growth.
- Headaches: A hormonal imbalance known as PCOS or PCOD can occasionally result in headaches.
- Pelvic pain and fatigue: Women with PCOS may experience feelings of discomfort, such as pain in the pelvic area, along with fatigue.
REASONS BEHIND PCOS
- High levels of androgen
A woman’s body contains a small amount of male hormones known as androgens. However, in PCOS, the amount of male hormones increases, which can prevent the ovaries from producing eggs during the monthly menstrual cycle. This can cause acne and excessive hair growth in women, which is one of the main symptoms of PCOS.
- High levels of insulin
The insulin hormone is in charge of regulating the body’s glucose levels. PCOS is a condition in which many women have insulin resistance, which means that the glucose in the blood is not being used properly by their cells. Women are more likely than men to have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes. To avoid Type 2 Diabetes in the future, lifestyle changes are advised.Obesity and unhealthy lifestyle leads to PCOS
AYURVEDIC APPROACH TO PCOD/PCOS / Best Ayurveda treatment for PCOD and PCOS
According to the ancient texts of Ayurveda, it is referred to as “Granthi” in some cases, which refers to the development of abnormalities such as cysts, ulcers, lumps, or tumors. According to Ayurveda, PCOS is caused by imbalance of Rasa and Rakta Dhatus, as well as an imbalance in the three Doshas of the body (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha). These Rasa-Rakta Dhatus are weakened as a result of Dosha imbalance and Ama (toxins) buildup in the body. This can result in cyst formation and other PCOS symptoms.
Normally, the Vata Dosha dominates the reproductive system, and the female reproductive organs are made of “Artava Dhatu,” which nourishes the ovum. Vata Dosha is in charge of the follicle and ovum movement into the uterine fallopian tubes. The sub-dosha “Apana Vayu” is in charge of the downward flow or menstrual flow. Pitta Dosha is important for hormone production and balance in the body. The Kapha Dosha is in charge of nourishing and promoting follicle, uterine, and ovum tissue growth. As a result, a harmonious balance of the three Doshas is essential for producing healthy hormones and maintaining the health of the female reproductive system.
Best Ayurveda treatment for PCOD and PCOS
Ayurveda, as a holistic system of treatment, provides an all-encompassing treatment approach that addresses the underlying cause of this condition. This treatment can be tailored to an individual’s needs, and it is always best to consult an Ayurvedic expert before beginning any treatment or therapy. The goal of Ayurveda Treatment for PCOD is to-
- Ayurvedic detoxification of the body to remove accumulated toxins
- The female reproductive system should be strengthened, revitalized, and nourished.
- Maintaining the body’s hormonal balance
- Weight loss and insulin resistance correction
AYURVEDA DIET FOR MANAGING PCOS/PCOD SYMPTOMS:
The goal of following this Ayurvedic diet is to nourish the Aartava Dhatu in females.
- Organic fruits and vegetables, such as raisins, pears, plums, dates, and figs, should be consumed by PCOS women. Fruits and berries in season should be included in the diet.
- To boost the Agni (Digestive fire), avoid spicy foods, fermented foods, dairy products, buttermilk, and so on.
- Consume Ragi (nachini, Eleusine coracana) grains.
- Avoid taking added sugar or sugary foods, as well as artificial sweeteners.
AYURVEDA TREATMENT FOR PCOD INVOLVES-
- Herbs like Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Shatavari, Varuna, Haritaki, Pippali, Bilva, Agnimantha, Punarvana, Guduchi, Chitraka, Shunthi, Dashmool, Shatapushpa, and others are very effective for balancing the tridoshas and Dhatus.
- Panchakarma, ayurvedic therapies, Yoga and breathing exercises (Pranayama) . Dietary changes include increasing the consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains while decreasing the consumption of saturated fats, salt, refined sugar, and refined carbs.
- Varunadi Kashaya, Chitrakadi Vati, Triphala Guggulu, Punarvadi Kashaya, Shatavari Gulam, and other Ayurvedic formulations are effective.
PANCHAKARMA TREATMENT FOR PCOS/PCOD / Best Ayurveda treatment for PCOD and PCOS
Panchakarma Treatment is recommended to treat the underlying cause by removing toxins from the reproductive system and empowering the various organs such as the uterus, ovaries and Fallopian tubes. This Panchakarma Treatment also aids in the maintenance of the body’s hormonal balance.
This is a cleansing technique used primarily to expel vitiated ‘Kapha.’ In PCOS, Vamana (therapeutic emesis or therapeutic vomiting) process helps to balance the vitiated kapha dosha.
This therapy aids in the restoration of the vitiated Pitta Dosha. It involves cleansing the small intestine and improves Dosha elimination via the rectal route. It restores the female body’s hormonal balance.
- Basti (Vastu)
This panchakarma therapy, which uses various types of herbal oils, Ghruta, milk, and other decoctions, is extremely effective in balancing the vitiated Vata Dosha. When specific oils are used for Basti, it aids in the regularisation of ovulation. So, Basti can help with infertility treatment, hormone balancing, PCOS treatment, fallopian tube blockage removal, and so on.
- Uttarbasti (Vasti)
Uttarbasti (Vasti) is a highly effective treatment for gynecological conditions. In the case of PCOS, Uttarbasti aids in the dissolution of ovarian cysts, the flushing of the Aartava Vaha Srotas, the pacification of the vitiated Apana Vayu, and the increase of follicular maturity.
- Fertility Massage
This is a gentle massage of the lower abdomen performed in a specific pattern to improve the natural functioning of the uterus. It also improves blood circulation in the lower pelvic region.
Herbs such as Ashwagandha and turmeric are commonly used in Ayurveda treatment for PCOD. Yoga and breathing exercises are two examples of therapies. Increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains while decreasing your intake of saturated fats, salt, and refined sugar.
PCOS /PCOD is a disorder and not a disease, hence it can be maintained. The symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) can be treated and they can be managed. Treatment options vary as someone with PCOS may have a cluster of symptoms or only one symptom.
PCOS is classified as a Kapha disorder in Ayurveda. The tissue responsible for reproduction in the female body is known as Arthava dhatu, and the channel that transports the reproductive fluid is known as the artavavaha srota. PCOS develops when excess kapha interferes with the natural balanced flow of these fluids and channels.
Basti: One of the most effective ayurvedic panchakarma therapies for treating PCOS symptoms is basti chikitsa. Basti therapy uses ayurvedic medicines such as ghee, oil, herbs, or kashaya that are specific to the health needs of women.
PCOS is caused by an imbalance in the Pitta (Fire) and Kapha (Water) doshas, according to Ayurvedic science. When these doshas become aggravated, it causes vitiation of the Dhatus (tissues) such as Rasa (nutrient plasma) and Rakta (blood), and causes ama (toxins) to accumulate in the body.
Women with PCOS have a specific imbalance of doshas, according to Ayurveda. Panchakarma treatment aids in the regulation of this imbalance as well as the treatment of chronic conditions such as diabetes and high cholesterol.