What is Psoriasis?
*A chronic auto-immune condition that is non-contagious, that produces plaques of thickened scaly skin, that may itch or cause discomfort.
* Psoriasis can begin at any age, it has 2 peaks of onset, the first at the age 20-30 years and the second at age 50-60 years.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
*Pain and stiffness in the joint.
*Skin rashes, dryness, fissures, flakiness, peeling, small bumps, cracked skin that may bleed, itching, burning etc.
*The most affected areas are the lower back, elbows, knees, legs, soles of the feet, scalp, face, and palms.
TYPES OF PSORIASIS
- Plaque psoriasis. Plaque psoriasis causes dry, raised, red skin patches covered with silvery scales. They usually appear on elbows, knees, lower back, and scalp.
- Nail psoriasis. Psoriasis can affect fingernails and toenails, causing pitting, abnormal nail growth and discolouration.
- Guttate psoriasis. This type primarily affects young adults and children. It is usually triggered by a bacterial infection such as strep throat. It is marked by small, drop-shaped, scaling lesions on the trunk, arms, or legs.
- Inverse psoriasis. This mainly affects the skin folds of the groin, buttocks, and breasts. Inverse psoriasis causes smooth patches of red skin that worsen with friction and sweating.
- Pustular psoriasis. This rare form of psoriasis causes clearly defined pus-filled lesions that occur in widespread patches or in smaller areas on the palms of the hands/feet.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis. Erythrodermic psoriasis can cover your entire body with a red, peeling rash that can itch or burn intensely.
- Psoriatic arthritis. Psoriatic arthritis causes swollen, painful joints that are typical of arthritis. It can cause stiffness and progressive joint damage that in the most serious cases may lead to permanent joint damage.
*According to Ayurveda, skin disorders are classified under kusta.
*Psoriasis can be related to kitiba, sidma, and eka kusta.
*Irregular and incompatible food habits.
*Excessive intake of curds, seafood, black gram, sour and salty diet.
*Ayurveda lays emphasis on stress as a causative factor.
Ayurveda treatment for Psoriasis:
*Shodhana and Shamana are the lines of treatment.
*Shodana includes Panchakarma therapies such as Vamana, Virechana, Rakta-mokshana.
*Internal and external medications specific to the condition.
*Rasayana therapy to maintain and rejuvenate the tissues.
*Lifestyle and dietary modifications are advised.