Ayurveda treatment for cervical spondylosis
Cervical spondylosis, also known as cervical osteoarthritis or arthritis of the neck, is a common age-related condition affecting the joints and discs in the neck. It develops from the wear and tear of cartilage and bones present in the cervical spine, located in the neck. Here will discuss how Ayurveda treatment for cervical spondylosis is helpful.
SYMPTOMS OF CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS
The basic symptoms are neck pain and shoulder pain with stiffness. Most people with cervical spondylosis don’t have significant symptoms as well. Few more symptoms are like
- Tingling, numbness and weakness in your arms, hands, legs or feet
- Lack of coordination and difficulty walking
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Loss of balance
Causes for cervical Spondylosis
The bones and protective cartilage in your neck are prone to wear and tear that can lead to cervical spondylosis. Some of the causes are like
- Over Usage: Due to our regular activities which involve repetitive movements or heavy lifting can put extra pressure on the spine, resulting in early wear and tear. This is the most common reason found in cervical spondylosis
- Stiffness in Ligaments: The tough cords which connect spinal bones to each other can become even stiffer over time of period, due to this neck movement affects and start pain.
- Injury: It is also the most common reason for cervical spondylosis. Any kind of neck injury faster the process of ageing.
- Dehydrated Spinal Disks: Disks are like cushions between the vertebrae of the spine. Most people’s spinal disks begin drying out and shrinking, which allows more bone-on-bone contact between the vertebrae
- Disk Degeneration and Bone Spurs: These overgrowths of bone are the result of the body trying to grow extra bone to make the spine stronger. However, the extra bone can press on delicate areas of the spine, such as the spinal cord and nerves, resulting in pain.
- Overweight: Overweight leads to premature degeneration of the spine and other skeletomuscular structures by virtue of their metabolic effect.
Ayurvedic treatment of Cervical spondylosis comprises herbal medicines and therapies that help to relax the muscles, as well as relieve inflammation to the nerves and surrounding tissues, healing the damage to the nerves and strengthening the nerves and muscles.
Greeva Stambha (A Vataja Disorder) simulates cervical spondylosis, which is a chronic degenerative condition of the cervical spine. In the management of cervical spondylosis Abhyangam, Swdana, Virechanam, Basti, Shalishastika pinda Swdena, Greeva Basti, Greeva Pichu, can improve conditions. These therapies relieve pain and inflammation, strengthen the tissues and prevent a recurrence.
- Yogaraj Guggulu
- Sahacharadi Kashayam
- Dhanvantaram kashayam,
- Dashamooladi Kashayam
- Ksheerabala 101
- Kaishora Guggulu
Home Tips to avoid Cervical Spondylosis
Avoid Dry, Fried, Cold, Junk, and Chilled Food.
Exposure to Cool Breezes, Air Conditioning and Fan,
Proper Posture When Sitting, Walking, and Sleeping Change your seat or bed as per your comfort.
Avoid Sleep during the day and sleep early at night.
Exercising regularly, turning the neck clockwise and counterclockwise is helpful. Bending and stretching your neck and nodding your head is also helpful.
The use of garlic, ginger, turmeric, sesame seeds in the daily diet helps in reducing Vata and as well as reduce inflammation
Applying warm sesame oil to the neck area and a hot bath also relieves pain.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Matsyasana (Fish Pose), Marjariasana (Cat Pose), as well as Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spine Pose), Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose) are some of the recommended yoga poses equally important that relieve spondylosis of the cervical spine.
Avoid lifting heavy weights and works that rather pressurize the neck.
Last but not least avoid sitting in front of a computer for a long duration, take breaks in between work for 10 minutes for every hour and that will not only reduce pain but also keeps you relaxed to work better.