Ayurveda treatment for cervical spondylosis
Cervical spondylosis, also known as cervical osteoarthritis or arthritis of the neck, is a common age-related condition affecting the joints and discs in the neck. It develops from the wear and tear of cartilage and bones present in the cervical spine, located in the neck. Here will discuss how Ayurveda treatment for cervical spondylosis is helpful. Cervical spondylosis is a common degenerative condition of the neck, typically affecting people as they age, resulting in wear and tear of the vertebral disks, bones, and joints. It can cause neck pain and stiffness, as well as nerve compression leading to symptoms such as tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness.
SYMPTOMS OF CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS
The basic symptoms are neck pain and shoulder pain with stiffness. Most people with cervical spondylosis don’t have significant symptoms as well. Few more symptoms are like
- Tingling, numbness, and weakness in your arms, hands, legs, or feet
- Lack of coordination and difficulty walking
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Loss of balance
Causes for Cervical Spondylosis
The bones and protective cartilage in your neck are prone to wear and tear that can lead to cervical spondylosis. Some of the causes are like
- Over Usage: Due to our regular activities which involve repetitive movements or heavy lifting can put extra pressure on the spine, resulting in early wear and tear. This is the most common reason found in cervical spondylosis
- Stiffness in Ligaments: The tough cords which connect spinal bones to each other can become even stiffer over time of period, due to this neck movement affects and start pain.
- Injury: It is also the most common reason for cervical spondylosis. Any kind of neck injury faster the process of ageing.
- Dehydrated Spinal Disks: Disks are like cushions between the vertebrae of the spine. Most people’s spinal disks begin drying out and shrinking, which allows more bone-on-bone contact between the vertebrae
- Disk Degeneration and Bone Spurs: These overgrowths of bone are the result of the body trying to grow extra bone to make the spine stronger. However, the extra bone can press on delicate areas of the spine, such as the spinal cord and nerves, resulting in pain.
Type of cervical spondylosis
There are two main types of cervical spondylosis:
- Degenerative: associated with aging and wear and tear of the neck structures.
- Degenerative-inflammatory: a combination of degenerative changes and inflammation caused by conditions such as arthritis.
Cervical spondylosis is a type of spinal degeneration that affects the neck region and is typically caused by aging and wear and tear. There are several types of cervical spondylosis, including:
- Degenerative spondylosis: a result of the normal aging process and wear and tear of the cervical spine
- Congenital spondylosis: a result of congenital spinal anomalies
- Traumatic spondylosis: caused by spinal injury or trauma
- Inflammatory spondylosis: caused by long-standing inflammation in the cervical spine
- Radiculomyelopathy: a condition where there is compression of the nerve roots leading from the spinal cord
- Myelopathy: a condition where there is compression of the spinal cord itself.
Ayurveda treatment for cervical spondylolysis:
Ayurvedic treatment of Cervical spondylosis comprises herbal medicines and therapies that help to relax the muscles, as well as relieve inflammation to the nerves and surrounding tissues, healing the damage to the nerves and strengthening the nerves and muscles.
Greeva Stambha (A Vataja Disorder) simulates cervical spondylosis, which is a chronic degenerative condition of the cervical spine. In the management of cervical spondylosis Abhyangam, Swdana, Virechanam, Basti, Shalishastika pinda Swdena, Greeva Basti, Greeva Pichu, can improve conditions. These therapies relieve pain and inflammation, strengthen the tissues and prevent a recurrence.
Ayurveda Medicines for cervical Spondylolysis
- Yogaraj Guggulu
- Sahacharadi Kashayam
- Dhanvantaram kashayam,
- Dashamooladi Kashayam
- Ksheerabala 101
- Kaishora Guggulu
Home Tips to avoid Cervical Spondylosis
Avoid Dry, Fried, Cold, Junk, and Chilled Food.
Exposure to Cool Breezes, Air Conditioning and Fan,
Proper Posture When Sitting, Walking, and Sleeping Change your seat or bed as per your comfort.
Avoid Sleep during the day and sleep early at night.
Exercising regularly, and turning the neck clockwise and counterclockwise is helpful. Bending and stretching your neck and nodding your head is also helpful.
The use of garlic, ginger, turmeric, and sesame seeds in the daily diet helps in reducing Vata and as well as reduce inflammation
Applying warm sesame oil to the neck area and a hot bath also relieves pain.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Matsyasana (Fish Pose), Marjariasana (Cat Pose), as well as Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spine Pose), Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose) are some of the recommended yoga poses equally important that relieve spondylosis of the cervical spine.
Avoid lifting heavy weights and works that rather pressurize the neck.
Last but not least avoid sitting in front of a computer for a long duration, and take breaks in between work for 10 minutes for every hour that will not only reduce pain but also keeps you relaxed to work better.
Ayurveda, the traditional system of medicine in India, offers various remedies and approaches to manage cervical spondylosis. It is important to note that these remedies should be used under the guidance of a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner. Here are some Ayurvedic remedies that may help alleviate the symptoms of cervical spondylosis:
- Ayurvedic oils: Massaging the affected area with specific Ayurvedic oils can help reduce pain and inflammation. Some commonly used oils include Mahanarayan oil, Bala oil, and Vishgarbha oil. Warm the oil slightly before applying it to the neck and gently massage in circular motions.
- Herbal remedies:
- Guggulu: Guggulu is a resinous extract from the Commiphora mukul tree and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can be taken internally in tablet or powder form after consulting an Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha, also known as Indian ginseng, has adaptogenic properties that may help reduce pain and improve muscle strength. It can be consumed in powdered form or as a supplement.
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrata): Shallaki is an herb known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It may help reduce pain and inflammation associated with cervical spondylosis.
- Ayurvedic Panchakarma therapy: Panchakarma is a detoxification and rejuvenation therapy in Ayurveda. Some Panchakarma treatments that can be beneficial for cervical spondylosis include:
- Abhyanga: Full body massage using herbal oils.
- Shirodhara: Continuous pouring of medicated oil on the forehead.
- Greeva Basti: A warm oil treatment specifically for the neck region.
- Yoga and stretching exercises: Regular practice of specific yoga asanas (postures) and stretching exercises can help improve flexibility, strengthen the neck muscles, and relieve pain. Some beneficial asanas include Bhujangasana (cobra pose), Makarasana (crocodile pose), and Setu Bandhasana (bridge pose). It is essential to learn these exercises from a qualified yoga instructor.
- Lifestyle and dietary recommendations: Ayurveda emphasizes a healthy lifestyle and diet to support overall well-being. Recommendations may include:
- Maintaining a good posture and avoiding prolonged sitting or standing.
- Avoiding excessive use of electronic devices.
- Consuming a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Drinking warm water throughout the day to aid in digestion and detoxification.
To understand best Ayurveda treatment for cervical spondylosis consult experienced Ayurveda doctor at Adyant Ayurveda who can assess your condition and provide personalized recommendations based on your specific needs and Dosha’s (body constitution). Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Ayurveda relies on various natural remedies, therapies, and exercises that help to alleviate the symptoms of cervical spondylosis such as neck pain, stiffness, and headaches. For instance, Ayurveda treatments like Greeva basti, Pichu, Abhyangam, Basti, yoga asanas, and Internal medication helps to relax the neck muscles, improve blood circulation, and reduce inflammation.
Various treatment options, including Ayurvedic medicine, are available for this condition. Ayurvedic treatment for cervical spondylosis usually involves Abhyangam, Greeva Basti, Pichu, Basti, Navara kizhi, Pizhichil helps to get relief from pain, inflammation of muscles and ligaments and to improve the flexibility and mobility of neck bone joints.
Ayurvedic medicine offers safe and effective remedies for the treatment of cervical spondylosis. Some of the best Ayurvedic medicines for cervical spondylosis include Sahacharadi Kashayam, Yogaraja Guggulu, Brihat Vat Chintamani Ras, Patoladi Choornam, and Rasna Saptak Kwath. These medicines help to reduce inflammation and pain, improve joint mobility, and strengthen the muscles and ligaments of the neck.
A healthy diet can help manage these symptoms and prevent the condition from worsening. Eating a nutrient-rich diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins can provide the body with the necessary vitamins and minerals to keep the spine healthy. Additionally, consuming anti-inflammatory foods such as turmeric, ginger, and omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation in the neck area and provide relief from pain and stiffness.
Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder of the spine that affects the intervertebral discs, the facet joints, and the vertebrae. While the exact cause of spondylosis is unknown, there are a few factors that increase the risk of developing this condition. Some of these risk factors include age, genetics, poor posture, repetitive spinal movements, and injuries to the spine. Additionally, factors such as smoking, obesity, and lack of exercise can also increase a person’s risk of developing spondylosis. While spondylosis is a common condition among older individuals.
Cervical spondylosis is a condition in which the vertebrae, discs, and ligaments in the neck undergo degenerative changes, causing pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, and arms.
Yes, Ayurveda can help manage the symptoms of cervical spondylosis and improve the overall health of the spine.
Some of the herbal remedies that may be used in Ayurveda for cervical spondylosis include ashwagandha, guggulu, ginger, and turmeric. These herbs are believed to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
Ayurvedic massage techniques that may be used for cervical spondylosis include abhyanga (oil massage), pizhichil (oil bath), and shirodhara (oil pouring on the forehead) Greeva Basti, Pichu. These massages can help improve blood circulation and reduce stiffness and pain in the neck.
Yoga can help improve flexibility and strengthen the muscles of the neck and shoulders, which can help reduce pain and stiffness in the neck. Some yoga poses that may be beneficial for cervical spondylosis include cobra pose, cat-cow pose, and seated spinal twist.
Ayurveda recommends eating a healthy, balanced diet that includes foods that are high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It also recommends avoiding foods that are processed or high in sugar and unhealthy fats. Lifestyle modifications may include practicing good posture, avoiding prolonged sitting or standing, and getting regular exercise.
This Post Has 12 Comments
very informative blog…keep posting this type of blogs
you give us right information about cervical spondylolysis medicines and now i use only this aaurvedic medicines for my treatrment
Thanks for your appreciation
amazing, its a very useful article thanks for the update,
Thank you very much for sharing! More remarkable essay. You encouraged me to have this surgery. I will share this link with my friends.
True pearls of wisdom are knitted in these pieces of advice. It’s irony that spondylolysis & arthritis can never be cured by allopathy medicine only ayurveda has the solution to these problems. I had ordered MANJISHTADI THAILAM from your online shop adyantpharma and found it to be value for money, thanks and Keep serving humanity !!
really awesome and useful information
Hiya very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also…I am glad to search out numerous useful information here in the post, we need develop extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .
very interesting topic, great post.
Pingback: Adyant Ayurveda (sudhirdutt) | Pearltrees
very informative/ great post so glad to find this site